Quit Guide: Quitting
Managing Cravings: When you really crave a cigarette
Remember: The urge to smoke will come and go. Try to wait it out. Or look at the plan you made last week. You wrote down steps to take at a time like this. Try them! You can also try these tips:
- Keep other things around instead of cigarettes. Try carrots‚ pickles‚ sunflower seeds‚ apples‚ celery‚ raisins‚ or sugarfree gum.
- Wash your hands or the dishes when you want a cigarette very badly. Or take a shower.
- Learn to relax quickly by taking deep breaths.
- Take 10 slow‚ deep breaths and hold the last one.
- Then breathe out slowly.
- Relax all of your muscles.
- Picture a soothing‚ pleasant scene.
- Just get away from it all for a moment.
- Think only about that peaceful image and nothing else.
- Light incense or a candle instead of a cigarette.
- Where you are and what is going on can make you crave a cigarette. A change of scene can really help. Go outside‚ or go to a different room. You can also try changing what you are doing.
- No matter what‚ don't think‚ "Just one won't hurt." It will hurt. It will undo your work so far.
- Remember: Trying something to beat the urge is always better than trying nothing.